Legal Help And Guidance For Condo And Homeowner Associations
Helping condo and homeowner associations is all we do at Peryea Silver Taylor. We provide a broad range of services to meet the legal needs of community associations across the Pacific Northwest. Common issues we help our clients resolve include:
- Community ordinances/violations/compliance
- Inaction regarding neighbor nuisances
- Failure to hold all residents to all restriction rules
- Properly notifying residents regarding meetings and assessments
- Unreasonable delays in solving homeowner problems
The legal team at Peryea Silver Taylor has a combined 50 years of experience, giving us insights into the best ways to deal with issues and resolve problems quickly and cost-effectively.
Providing Guidance Through Major Repairs And Financing
Since 2007, we have assisted over 75 owner associations in Washington state through major repair and financing projects, many of which involved multi-million-dollar costs of repairs and loans.
Associations and managers often underestimate the complexity of financing and managing a major repair project. Understanding and preparing from the beginning to achieve the objectives of obtaining financing and completing repairs will save the association time and money down the road.
Assistance Obtaining Financing And The Dreaded Special Assessment
If you need to borrow money, in all likelihood your bank will require an opinion letter from your attorney stating that (1) you have the authority to borrow and give security and that (2) you have followed the proper legal process, from beginning to end. Our comprehensive multi-step process involves:
- Reviewing the entire process in a 90-minute board orientation session
- Identifying financial sources for payment that reduce the financial burden on individual owners
- Reviewing and, if necessary, drafting amendments to the declaration of covenants to permit your association to give security for a loan
- Assisting the association and its professional management in the drafting of budget notices and repair plans to reduce the risk of expensive errors and to ensure compliance with Washington state notice and disclosure requirements
- Reviewing vendor contracts to ensure fairness and reduce the risk of unfulfilled expectations
- Designing a turn-key process for imposing assessments and collecting unpaid assessments that reduces the risk that an owner’s personal bankruptcy or property foreclosure will wipe out an association’s entire claim for repair costs
- Attending owner meetings to explain the repair process from a legal perspective in non-legalese and in a manner calculated to strengthen the community’s confidence
Ideally, we would like to get involved at the beginning of the process, but we can assist at any point in the process.
Contact Us For Assistance With Your Condo And Homeowners Association Legal Needs
For assistance with financing repairs, dealing with compliance issues or any other legal need, contact Peryea Silver Taylor at our Seattle office by calling 206-403-1933 or filling out our online contact form.